The cause of Cannon's red cheeks became a littler clearer this week when the blood tests came back and showed us that he is allergic to quite a few things. Dairy, eggs, tree nuts, soy, avocado, banana, latex, shellfish (and fish is cut too to be safe). Wheat came back positive too but the result was low so that, as of now, we are not cutting that. Because I am nursing (and because he is allergic to soy and dairy and there arent many other formula/milk options out there) I also have to cut these foods out of my diet. I had previously cut out dairy, soy, gluten, and processed foods for 3 months but his skin didnt clear up. Probably because I lived off of nuts and also ate eggs. Because we now know he is allergic to these things too, I must cut out even more.
Daunting as this list may be to cut out for both Cannon and I, I am quite all right with it. I mean, it is REALLY nice to know what is behind all this and hopefully, if all works well, resolve his itchy red skin.
Plus, grocery stores are SOOO much better about labeling and selling foods that I never knew existed before last week. Some popular ones: rice yogurt, rice cheese, coconut yogurt, powdered egg replacers (for baking), pancake/cake/cookie mixes (without dairy, eggs and nuts) and much more.
So after trying dozens of prescription lotions, dozens of over the counter lotions and soaps, dozens of old wives' tales and after visiting 4 different types of doctors (pediatrician, dermatologist, allergist and gastroenterologist), we are crossing our fingers that we are at least on the right track. And what do you know, after doing this for just a week, he is eating better, napping better and his skin looks better.
Here's to hoping we've turned a corner!
7 years ago


2 comments:
OMG Nicole! I am so glad that there may be some answers to your sleepless nights.
Good luck! Talk about discipline.
Oh, yay! I'm really hopeful for you guys. I know how frustrating this can be...
Post a Comment