Thursday, June 07, 2007

Whatever It Takes

At first I thought I was a little crazy (and maybe I am)... but after talking to many moms and telling them where and how my child sleeps, I realized that I was far from crazy. After trying EVERYTHING to get Hudson to sleep (including putting his bassinet at an incline - in case the reason he couldnt sleep was because of acid reflux, noise machines, swaddling, having him sleep in the car seat - since it sometimes worked during the day, having him sleep in a vibrating chair, etc.), we finally got a couple things down. And from what I am hearing from other moms - you do whatever it takes to get some sleep...
When we first brought Hudson home he slept like a champ. In fact, I remember JR saying multiple times that Hudson's sleeping seemed "too good to be true." A couple weeks after bringing him home though he stopped sleeping as well as he did in the beginning. My theory is that he was held so often after he got home that it got hard to sleep on a hard (and motionless surface) after that. So after watching Happiest Baby on the Block, the doctor in the video mentions that some babies sleep well in swings because the movement reminds them of being held. So we tried it and it worked. He is sleeping like a gem. Putting him to bed takes mere seconds and we now have a great routine - in fact Hudson slept 7 hours straight the other night (though usually he sleeps between 5-6 hours). Anyways, we have slowed the swing down to the lowest level and the next step is stopping the swing from moving at all and then moing Hudson into his crib... Hopefully this will all happen before he grows out of the swing. As funny as the pictures look, he is finally getting some much needed good sleep - and so are we! Whatever it takes!
The second picture is Hudson taking a nap on the changing table - he sleeps well when there is some light pressure/weight on him, like my diaper wipes.
And the last picture is how our crazy dogs sleep.... we havent forgotten about them!


No comments: