Maybe it's not always a dog's world, but around here, it was at least a dog's weekend... On Saturday night, a couple neigbors and us were hanging out in the front and I decided to let our dogs out to run around. Their friend George (a dog) was already out running around. I opened the gate but only Jagger ran out. I called Maya and when she didnt appear, I went and looked for her. I found her, looking strange, and unable to move. I yelled for JR and told him something was wrong with her leg. She managed to walk toward JR but then collapsed on our front door step, peed herself and began seizing - BAD. I held her eyes closed with my hand and pet her while trying to get my hand in her mouth so she didnt swallow her tongue. JR grabbed his keys to take her to the Emergency Vet (yes, we have been there before when Jagger ate a sock and luckily it is less than a mile from our house). So JR and a neighbor jumped in the car and took off. To make a long story short, Maya ate some snail poison. When she was out earlier that day, JR saw her eating some dirt in a neighbor's yard. He stopped her, but she must have gotten enough... and the neighbor showed me the box of poison. On the front, in big red writing were the words "CAN BE FATAL TO DOGS" and "KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN." Hmmmmmm... there are 9 houses in our little area and 7 dogs and 6 kids that all play in the area where the snail poison was set... maybe you would get a more friendly snail bait???
Anyways, after $1200 and 15 hours in the ER getting her stomach pumped and flushed and who knows what else, Maya is home and doing well.
To make our weekend even more about the dogs, Jagger had an appointment at our regular vet on Sunday to get his ears cleaned. What should have been a routine $10 visit turned into a $345 visit because he has a major ear infection and needed an assortment of tests ran and 3 different antibiotics (though we are always skeptical of our vet and their tendency to try for the upsale, what are you supposed to do? Not treat your dog? Time for a new vet).
So needless to say we had an expensive weekend and JR and I didnt even do anything or go anywhere. But at least everyone is safe. And at least a child or baby didnt eat the snail poison first... And thank goodness I happened to go in the backyard one minute before Maya's seizure, otherwise, I am not sure the situation would have ended as well.
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment