Thursday, July 24, 2008

'Party Police' ??

I just read an article in Cookie Magazine (a parents magazine) and the article was titled "Party Police." The article discussed parents who throw parties for their children while placing 'increasing demands' on their guests. What increasing demands? ASKING THIER GUESTS TO NOT BRING A GIFT. The author states this is done because the parent is controlling (not to mention mean because what kid wouldnt want gifts?, she asks). Well, it just so happens that I threw Hudson a 1st birthday party and wrote on the card that Hudson was lucky to have plenty of toys and to please not bring anything (I went on to state that if you felt you had to bring a small toy, we would happily donate it to a local charity). Now, no one is going to deny that I can be controlling. But that is not why I wrote 'no gifts'. I wrote 'no gifts' because I felt that every time our group of friends gets together these days there is a gift (and therefore money) involved. I had a wedding recently, a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, TWO baby showers...not to mention birthdays, Christmases and anniversaries. Most of these events involved wonderful and generous gifts for us. It just started to seem that every time I saw my friends, I was 'asking' for a gift. Well, I wanted to throw Hudson a 1st birthday party WITHOUT people HAVING to spend MORE money on him/us. Hudson has no clue he 'missed out' and some people still got him a gift (to which we were very appreciative and thankful). I thought it worked out GREAT, but apparently I messed up the 'unspoken contract between planner and guest.' Our friends and family have been MORE than supportive over the years and we felt it RIGHT to throw a party without receiving/expecting something in return.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

ya know what, maybe the author doesnt have a large group of friends so her 1 invitation a year is no big deal...he he he.

I was planning on doing something similar for Isabella, but then again...I too an "controlling" lol