A grocery trip is now considered successful if nothing is grabbed off a shelf and broken. Or thrown out of the cart and broken. It is successful if both kids stay in the cart most of the time. I know not to expect them to both stay in for the whole time now. Usually Cannon is following the cart, crying, by the end of the trip because he doesnt want to get in the cart...and yet he also doesnt want to be out. It is successful if I get enough to throw a dinner together. I find it hard to think clearly in the store when shopping with both kids and always forget something.
A grocery trip (or trip to the pharmacy, or Target, etc) is also good when the checkout person can scan everything - since some things are opened, eaten, smashed, etc. When this is your trip to the store, how can you do anything but laugh. And that is what I do. What else can I do? Any other reaction would make an already stressful/unpleasant situation worse, so I stay calm, breathe, and laugh and open another pack of snacks. Or peel a banana. Or let them play with a toy that we dont end up buying. Yep, I am also that person now that puts things in her cart with no intention of buying them. I give them to the checkout person, "Sorry, we decided not to get this just now." Ugh.
And yet, I already know I will miss this. Even thinking about my pharmacy run yesterday makes me laugh now, when yesterday I was embarrassed. I even called ahead so Cannon's prescription would be ready. And it wasnt. Which required adult speaking and explaining on my part, while watching 2 kids out of the corner of my eye. Too bad you cant leave kids in the car, for a short period of time (with engine on and doors locked of course, like mine does - while I have the keys). One was playing with the over-the-counter medicine and the other running around the poles of the make-shift line. The medicine by one brother looked like it was about to be used as a weapon, making the other run. The runner tripped on the make-shift line, which fell. While I was trying to pay. I told Hudson to sit, he did. Cannon went over and tried to sit on top of him. I was trying to talk. I acted calm. A woman told me she had 3 young active kids too (which she didn't bring).
So I live in the moment. Trying to survive. Trying to remain calm. Trying to get through it and get things done. Because one day, I will laugh and probably cry because I miss this.
They ran out of the garage with these weapons.

Playing nice ~ they can be so cute and sweet.

Holding hands...

They grow up so fast. This is them this morning.


1 comment:
Love this post Nicole!
I feel like people are staring every time I go to the grocery store, Target, Trader Joe's, etc. I'm never sure if they are looks of pity or oh, how cute looks or oh, how I remember those days looks or why can't this lady control her kids looks. I too and the mom who picks up random toys/books and lets my kids do what they will with them and then put them back or give them to the clerk. Whatever-it's a desperate situation people! I ALWAYS ALWAYS forget more than one thing and it is usually the one/main thing I was going to the grocery store in the 1ST place for. I am always opening bags, snacks before we get the register. I also feel like every one knows about Jordan falling out of the cart and braking her collar bone and giving me looks of disdain that she is riding in the back of the cart again. LOL
We will miss this though and I love knowing that we are smart and old enough and good enough mom's to realize this. We do our best to laugh when many would cry and try our best to live in the moment and enjoy this season of our lives. I also love that when I lose sight of that, I can read posts like this to remind me. :)
Post a Comment