At first, I couldn't get him in the store because he didn't like the shopping cart Cannon picked out for us. Then once I finally got him in, he continued to scream and pull things off the shelves and act like a possessed crazy man. So much so that I tried to leave and then I couldn't get him out of the store. It resulted in me carrying Cannon, the 4 large dinosaurs I let them bring in, my purse, and dragging Hudson behind me all the way to the car. Dragging. Once we got to the car I couldn't let either of the boys go. I knew Hudson wanted to go back in the store at that point and I feared a mad dash in the street if I let him go. And even though Cannon was being good, he's still too little to be trusted in the street for even a moment. So I dropped the dinosaurs, pinned Cannon with my knees against the car, put Hudson in the car (didnt even bother trying to buckle him yet - that would have been impossible given how much he was fighting me), then closed the door and took Cannon to the other side.
I was so embarrassed as I tried to remain calm but really, I had no idea what to do. He was beyond the point of listening and beyond the point of being able to calm down, even if he wanted to. And it has really traumatized me for our outings since then.

Since then, I had a long talk with Hudson before going into another store that went something like this:
Me: Hudson, we do not want to have another meltdown in this store, ok? We need to get stuff for dinner, and we are all going to be really big and calm and shop quickly and then go home. No meltdowns.
Hudson: Ok mommy, I wont have a meltdown. I dont want to have another meltdown.
Me: That's good because no one is happy when you have a meltdown. You aren't happy when you have a meltdown and I'm not happy when you have a meltdown.
Then, we walked into the store and Hudson said: Mommy, what's a meltdown?


2 comments:
Good times!
Ditto what Stac said,,,good times :)
Post a Comment