Well, I must say that I am touched by everyone's comments on my recent sleep (or rather, lack thereof) post so I decided to write an update. After getting through some of the Pantley book I got some tips (which were directed for those of us who breastfeed their babies to sleep - which, I admit, is me on many/most occasions. Especially on those occasions when I am TIRED). Here are the tips we implemented immediately:
1. No more nighttime bath. Pantley actually recommends night baths to calm and relax your baby. But Hudson does not come out of the bath calm. He LOVES his bath but it is MAJOR play time in our house. So we moved those to mornings since I think it works him up in the evenings.
2. Bedtime needs to be much earlier. Hudson was going to sleep between 8 and 830. He is now going to bed between 7 and 730. I think we were missing his tired 'window' which caused him to be overtired and harder to put to sleep later.
3. Naps are important. Hudson was a bad napper. Pantley suggested basically doing whatever it takes to get your baby to take two scheduled naps (two at his age anyway), whether that be in the carseat, or in the stroller or in someone's arms. Daytime sleeping positively impacts nighttime sleeping and is important for baby to get a good night's sleep.
4. Get Hudson to play in his crib during the day so it isnt just a nighttime/alone place but a place of comfort and safety that he knows and enjoys. He never really goes in his room during the day (except for naps) so it really is just a sleep place. Maybe I need to make it a fun place that he knows when he is awake so that when he does wake in the night, he will be comfortable. Maybe this is a stretch but it is not a difficult idea to try out.
5. Remove the boob before baby is asleep. OK, so this one was obvious but it is really hard when you are tired in the middle of the night and you know it makes him fall asleep and all I want to do is sleep...
On Monday, he slept 7 1/2 hours straight. On Tuesday he was up 5 times. On Wednesday he only got up once. To be honest, the nights Hudson seems to sleep the best are the nights JR puts him to bed (which also means Hudson is not, obviously, falling asleep on my boob. In my defense, when Hudson is with me, he knows he can get the boob so he freaks out more with me until he gets it.) So basically, Daddy has a new job... and he is good at it. I hear him singing songs (songs that he makes up about the dogs and Hudson) and it seems to work!
I do also believe that Hudson goes through stages that affect his sleep. Some nights are better than others and there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I think we are at a stage right now - a few stages actually. I think he is getting his third tooth. I think he is growing. And I think he is also starting to get 'attached' to me - which I am not saying is a bad thing, but just maybe he misses me at night :). I understand that I might not have the baby who ever sleeps 12 hours straight and that is ok. But I know he can sleep 7-8 and I will keep trying to get that to be more consistent in our home.
It is good to know that there are others out there in the same/similar boat and I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I do wish great sleep for all!
7 years ago


3 comments:
I am crossing my fingers that Hudson's sleeping pattern improves. You are a wonderful mom...please let me know if there is anything I can do to help! Loved visiting with you yesterday.
WOW! Nicole I have a lot to learn. Get ready for the phone calls once out baby gets here!
Please forward a vid of JR's songs. I would love to hear them. I was the designated putter-to-bedder and I made up the lamest songs and sang them so terribly. It would be hilarious to hear JR. thanks uncle T
Post a Comment