Thursday, December 06, 2007

Working

A lot of people know that I did a little bit of work from home after Hudson was born but havent done much since. I am not really sure why that is. I know it would be good to get out of the house for a bit but some days it is hard to find time to shower or make the bed or get to the grocery store much less organize a sitter, get ready, think and act properly in an office of adults and actually work. It has been a while since I did anything law-related and so I was a bit nervous going back into the office on Thursday to pick up my newest assignment. The firm is nice enough to contract with me on an hourly basis so that I am not working full time and I can also work from home. It is mutually beneficial as they do not want to hire a full time employee but they do need more help when they get busy. I came home with piles of paperwork that I somehow need to find time to go through and I feel exhausted looking at it. When I got the work, I was a little excited. It felt good to talk about a case again but then I got home and immediately worried about how I would fit that into my current mommy-job. As I was leaving the office, one of the partners said, "It is far easier to come into the office then it is to stay at home with a child." And you know what, I think I agree. I dont think I agreed with that statement before I had Hudson and I am sure many of you out there wont agree with me now. I am not saying it is easy to work or be the 'breadwinner' but it is definitely not Oprah and eating bon-bons on the couch staying at home either (at least not with Hudson). So, I am not sure what is in store for me in terms of working. I think this set up could be good but I also have my doubts as to whether I can still turn in a good work product (especially on as little sleep as I have gotten over the last few months). We will see...

No comments: