Monday, February 22, 2010

Brother Love




Our kids are nineteen and a half months apart. We always wanted our kids close together. At times, when things are crazy around here, we wonder what we were thinking having them so close! However, most of the time we stand by our decision. We didnt want Hudson to ever know or remember a time that his little brother wasnt around. We didnt want him to be an only child and then try to get accostomed to a sibling. We knew it would be tough on us the first year or two but we thought that the brothers would be best friends and play with each other all the time (and no, we didnt know we were having a boy, so really we were thinking that two siblings would be best friends).

And we think we were right (for US). I dont think Hudson remembers a time when Cannon wasnt around. And he is already fiercely protective of Cannon (despite the fact that he is often beating on him when it is just the two of them). When others are around I notice that Hudson is very concerned about Cannon - where is he, what is he doing and even comforting him.

I went to pick the kids up at the gym Kid's Club the other day and I saw Hudson trying to talk his way into going out of the room where the toys are toward the check out area. Normally, they want the kids to stay in the playroom. I asked him why he was coming over to the door (at this point he didnt know I was coming) and he said because "I need to check on Cannon". Cannon was already at the door/gate (I couldnt see him until I looked down). But Hudson was very aware of Cannon and his whereabouts and was going to check on him.

And when I picked Hudson up from school without Cannon, Hudson's first question to me was "Where is Canny?"

At Disneyland last weekend a little girl was playing with Cannon in line for a ride and Hudson put his arms around Cannon, got between the girl and Cannon and said to her "That's my brother!"

Hudson is also turning into a little helper (or tattler) when it comes to Cannon. "Mommy, Cannon is dumping out his juice on the floor!" "Cannon is eating the sand!"

And the brother love definitely goes both ways. Cannon is OBSESSED with Hudson. They are rarely apart. Cannon copies (or tries) everything Hudson does and just laughs and laughs when it comes to anything Hudson. When Hudson sings in the car, Cannon stops crying. When Hudson plays with Cannon, he soaks up the attention. When Hudson hits Cannon, Cannon copies and hits back. He is learning everything from Hudson.

Two kids in diapers in the beginning wasnt easy. It wasnt easy getting two kids in and out of the car when neither could help or climb in like it was in the beginning. Having Cannon copy some of the stunts that Hudson does has been scary/unsafe. It has definitely been hard at times to have kids this close together but we are so happy with our decision. It's getting easier and it is so nice to see their relationship grow and form. They are brothers and they are close and they truly love each other.





1 comment:

gramps anthony said...

Cool. I have tears in my eyes thinking about those two rascals. Awesome post Cole. ILY